School Within a College (SWAC)
Grade 12 students complete their high school course credits at Red Deer College in the first semester with the support of a Red Deer Public teacher. In the second semester, they complete their technical training classes with an RDC instructor. RDC’s technical training classes provide students with credit toward their first period training as an Automotive Service Technician (AST) or Welder, as chosen by the student. The technical training class also counts towards 19 credits in 3400 CTS courses.
What are the benefits of SWAC?
- Students earn high school and post-secondary credits in their grade 12 year
- Students can earn their first-period technical training in either AST or Welding
- Students gain experience with college-level programs by building confidence and expanding learning opportunities
- Students bring more skills to employers in that they have demonstrated a desire to pursue a career in either AST or Welder
- Students are able to complete their grade 12 year earlier than the end of June.
For further information regarding our SWAC program please contact Stephen Pottage at 403-343-1354 at the Alternative School Centre